Unfortunately the boat only came with a basic 16Kg anchor. Probably the minimum requirement and for the original purchaser adequate. I intended to anchor overnight quite regularly at home in the Upper Spencer Gulf so I wanted to be able to sleep.
I started researching and came across this site www.anchorright.com.au and remembered seeing about this crowd on the ABC inventors. Seems they invented a buggy which tested the effectiveness of anchors consistently and gave a rating which could be compared between tested anchors.
I phoned them and seems like a husband and wife team and they are very knowledgeable and helpful. It seems their anchors rate very highly in the holding stakes. After speaking to Mark and the technical team at Multihull Solutions it was deemed the Sarca wouldn't fit so I was best off with the Excell. This model doesn't have the running ring for the shackle on top which would apparently foul on my boat.
I have chosen and ordered an Excel No:5. A 22KG anchor suited for 7-15tonne vessel. This will be shipped to Mooloolaba to be fitted before I pick the boat up.
Once I've slept with trusting the Anchor in Blanche harbour a few nights I'll write about a real world test and result. I hope I'm happy! They are not cheap.
UPDATE: Found out today Snert has a number 5 Sarca anchor on his 40 foot yacht and reckons it works a treat. He hasn't had it slip yet and gives a glowing review!
UPDATE:Rex from Anchor Right shipped my anchor direct to Mooloolaba for me hassle free and was great to deal with, very refreshing these days. Thanks Rex!
UPDATE:I've now used the anchor heaps and it's great. What else can I say, get one. I've spoken to quite a few crew who have a Sarca and they all seem happy as a pig in shit! I'm rapt in mine and it lets me sleep knowing it won't let go. I let a lot of chain out but I figure it's better in the water than in the boat. Every time I pull it up I can see by how much bottom comes up with it how good it's holding.
September 8, 2009 by Saltydude
SARCA products endorsementsCharter
- Grae-Lyn Charters - Whakatane - NEW ZEALAND
- John Robert Doran - Bluewater Fishing Charters - AUSTRALIA
- Kevin Kemp - Wildcat Fishing Charters - AUSTRALIA
- Ross Miller - Captain - Anchoring with Australia - Cairns Australia
- Boating Hardware Pro Sail - Another Tsunami Success Story
- Colin Tannahill - JV Marine World - AUSTRALIA
- Joe Stevens - Shannon Court Pty Ltd - AUSTRALIA
- Mark Lewis - Boronia Marine - AUSTRALIA
- Pelican 1 - SARCA A Sensational Product
- Peter Cleland - Bar Crusher Boats - AUSTRALIA
- About Anchors
- Anchors - Must Have Shockles
- Dan Hellier - Karon Beach - SARCA In The Tsunami - THAILAND
- Glenn Wyncoll - A.C.I.T.A - AUSTRALIA
- Jack Absalom - AUSTRALIA
- Malcolm Douglas - Broome Crocodile Park - AUSTRALIA
PRT - Portable Rescue Tree 4x4 Land Anchor
- Bert Davis - Victoria State Emergency Service - AUSTRALIA
- Rick Loft - ARB Corporation Ltd - AUSTRALIA
- Wayne Kemp - Off Road Magazine